Monday, September 12, 2011

So this is what some call "Living the American dream"

Here recently it has became clear where I am at in life. I am a 22 year old woman working 40+ hours a week at a dead end job due to my lack of education. I have started college 4 years after the stereo-typical person of my graduating class. I am struggling to keep my head above water currently, waiting for my student loan check to arrive so that I can get my oil changed (its past due by 100 miles) and pay off my credit card. Oh and get some new contacts....and fill a cavity or two. I live in an efficiency apartment. Its a bedroom with a kitchenette and a bathroom attached. ALONE. All alone. This being said I look around at my life and think could this seriously be the "American Dream?" Geez I sure hope not, there has got to be more than just getting by and struggling to survive....and being alone. Wow its disheartening more often than not to leave work only to arrive at an empty home, empty bed, empty space. I am left with homework, church activities, and racing thoughts to help manage the void. I know it seems like I'm complaining a lot. Lets be real here though. This is the current state of my heart and head. Seasons of life are inevitable. I just can't help but want to wish this one away. I want my American Dream to be so much more than this. I want to feel content with the things I have and I would really enjoy the company of someone next to me sharing all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment