Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Tell Me A Story"/ A Tale of Thanksgivings Past

I once had a boyfriend who would always ask me to tell him a story, I mean every time we talked. Forgive me and my faulty memory because for the life of me I can't tell you which one it was! Anyways it eventually became a game. He would tell a story, I would tell a story and it was a fantastic way to pass the time. I tell you all this because I realize that "Tell me a story." has become one of my every day lines that I LOVE using. I am genuinely so interested in the lives of others. I long to hear stories of every day living, quiet moments, and shocking events. I guess I just love communication in general. Believe it or not I do tend to think if we all spent half as much time listening as we do talking we would take in an unfathomable amount of wisdom. So tonight I ask you to do this for me. Tell me a story. Any story. Good, bad, your whole life story, or just a brief moment in time. Life is a beautiful story dying to be told. It is a shame if you never share yours. Here is my story. Now it is winter and I become super nostalgic of the winters past. As I do this I think particularly of last Thanksgiving. You see I was living in Germany with one of my closest friends Savannah. We were super excited about the Holiday. We woke up to a perfectly white morning and began the cooking for the feast of the evening. While cooking we realized we didn't have pumpkin for the pumpkin pies!!!! This was hilarious because I made the shopping list, and though we had no pumpkin we had pumpkin pie seasoning and pie shells from the grocery trip. In a frenzy we panicked, went to a local German market and attempted to find pumpkin pie filling. Apparently Germans don't eat pumpkin pie. So we bought a jar of pickled pumpkin (YES I SAID PICKLED) and attempted to re-create an American favorite. Needless to say it turned out terrible, but well it makes for a great story. The year Savannah and I made pickled pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
Our snowy drive to the store

The dream team Savannah and I

No comments:

Post a Comment