Monday, April 4, 2011

The rules of attraction.

Here recently I have had the opportunity to reconnect with a few of my friends since being home. The #1 topic is almost always relationships, or the new guy in their life, the re-kindled romance of a previous relationship, the one night stand, fling, or here today gone tomorrow crush. All this talk of friendships, relationships, and dating the opposite sex really has me thinking...what makes us attracted to one another? Obviously we are all human and most long to be connected with one another. What makes someone stand out though? When you look for someone what attributes and physical qualities make a person attractive in your eyes? I find it so interesting hearing my friend's reasoning's for liking/dating guys. Sometimes its pure shallow (yes I am guilty of it as well GASP) "HE IS JUST SO STINKIN HOTT!". Other times its personality, "We mesh so well together, he makes me laugh all the time". Then there is the perfect one "He is so perfect, there has to be a flaw". I personally am amazed by how many levels there are of attraction. I guess I have this on my mind also because I personally am trying to figure out what makes me attracted to people. I look around at my friends and they are so diverse its nuts! Then I look at my current crushes (yes I just said crushes I have reverted back to being a 15 year old girl in 1 single sentence) and well they are equally as diverse. So this is just a little post to get you thinking about attraction. Take a step back and evaluate why you are genuinely attracted a person and savor that you know these facts...

2 comments:

  1. I was attracted to my husband's heart for serving God. That's how I knew...God prepared us for each other, the world did not. You can't make a marriage work without choosing to love (it's not a feeling). Personality won't cut it. God made us vastly different for many reasons. Great post! See you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent some serious time working this topic out in my life as well through the last year. What I've seen in my heart has been very interesting, ranging from finding the source of my attraction to girls who have short hair (harhar) to what kind of needs I should be looking to fill as a husband for the various girls I'm interested in. I have found a much deeper issue though. An issue that pushes all others aside: what is her understanding of the Gospel as it is portrayed through every inch of scripture and how does she apply it to her life?

    All other things pale next to this super-important point. Even short hair ;p

    Now this ricochets back to me as well — how do I view the same Gospel and apply it to my relationship with her?

    The reason this has such an impact on everything is because EVERYTHING else will not matter in time. Jessica was right when she said personality and feelings won't save a marriage, I believe in the end nothing actually matters as we can surmise from our parents and grandparents and friends: money, looks, feelings, all of the things we can take for granted or just put too much faith in WILL perish and will not matter.

    ReplyDelete